Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Reflection on Guidelines for Instructional Design

As I read over the guidelines for Instructional Design I found myself reflecting on my own practices. The guidelines are the same guidelines that I learned when I was in my teacher license  program, the guidelines also adhere to the design guidelines stressed in my school district. In my experience these guidelines are often refereed to as best practices or good teaching. While I believe these guideline are critical for good instruction I also think every teacher needs to have a sharp and sophisticated understanding of how to implement these guidelines. In my opinion many lessons fail because the objectives are not clear. Many times teachers write complicated or obscure learning objectives that confuse and frustrate students. Recently I have been  attempting to narrow the focus of my objectives by asking what standard am I addressing and  what specific skills or knowledge do my students need to demonstrate learning. By answering these questions I can ensure I choose the best strategies to meet the needs of students. In my experience instructional strategies can either make or brake a lesson, strategies have a great deal of influence on a learners level of engagement. Instructional technology and media also have a great deal of influence on learner engagement as well. Recently I used the song Small Axe by Bob Marley as metaphor to describe the Patriots and the British during the revolutionary war. This piece of media had a much greater impact than a piece of written text or a dry video clip. Finally the question of assessment is as important as an objective. If you have written a strong objective aligned to standards then you already have the basic guidelines for your assessment. By following these guidelines in an intentional and thoughtful manner teachers and instructors can design stronger and more effective lessons that ensure all leaners achieve their goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment